Information about procedures to be followed after graduation

Dear Students,

We would like to inform you about the after-the-graduation procedures necessary to get your degree accepted in your home country.

First of all, you should find out what papers you need to obtain. Please turn to your home country’s medical authorization office for information. The requirements vary significantly from country to country (even within the EU).

To start with, the University of Debrecen will issue the official degree/diploma, the official transcripts and official degree copies on the day of the graduation. On the same day your data will be received by the electronic system of the medical/dentist/pharmacist register. The Hungarian government office ENKK (Health Registration and Training Center) will automatically give a basic registration number to all new medical doctor/dentist/pharmacist graduates. A couple of days later you can see this number via the internet:

In addition, you will most probably need to apply for certain certificates from the Hungarian Government Office ENKK (Health Registration and Training Center). You will probably need a Certificate of Conformity and Certificate of Good Standing. Please check the enclosed ENKK file.

However, check in advance if you really need the Certificate of Good Standing. If you do not need it, do not make useless efforts with the high amount of paperwork! The Certificate of Good Standing is only valid for 90 days.

There are two main versions of the Certificate of Good Standing, depending whether you need or not to have the next phrase included “the applicant is entitled to pursue the healthcare activity in Hungary”. If you need the version containing the above phrase, follow the procedure described below.

For further information go to the following website.

Steps to obtain an operational licence:

Before graduation:

  1. Tax number (“adóazonosító jel” in Hungarian): It can be obtained from the National Tax and Customs Administration of Hungary (NAV). It is free of charge and will be given to you on spot. Please make sure you take your passport or identification document with you. We have enclosed the contact details of the Debrecen customer service for you. (NAV file)
  2. Request a police report (called “erkölcsi bizonyítvány” in Hungarian): First you must buy an empty form at the post office. Then fill it in and send it to the address given in the envelope. We have attached you a sample police report to see how it is to be filled. It takes about 1 week to get it by post but you can also get it personally in Budapest. The contact details and opening hours of the Budapest office are as follows:

Központi Okmányiroda
Budapest, XIII. Visegrádi utca 110.
Monday to Thursday: from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm | Friday: from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm

After graduation:

  1. Apply for Medical Chamber membership at
    There is an online registration form which has to be filled in, printed out and sent to the Medical Chamber along with a passport size photo. The tax number (“adóazonosító jel”) is necessary in order to be able to fill in the online form.
    The form is only available in Hungarian. However, the Registrar’s Office will prepare you a sample to see how to fill in the form.
    For further information go to the following website.
  2. Apply for an operational licence.
    The form is only available in Hungarian at the following website.
    For the operational licence you first need the police report and chamber membership.
    To get the licence, you will have to pay some fee, and submit certain documents.

The whole procedure is quite long and exhausting so please try to find out what are the requirements regarding the Certificate of Good Standing in the country where you intend to work.